Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Return to the Holidays

It is time to return to the Holidays. I forget how fun it is to have something to celebrate everyday. Today is another day with a lot of different things to celebrate. Today is "Listening Day". It is amazing how many problems in the world would be solved if people would just listen to those around them. How often do we watch a person move their mouth without ever caring to engage those things on the sides of our heads that allow us to hear and listen. I encourage all of you to take the time today to listen to those around you and not just watch their mouths move. Another holiday to celebrate today is the birthday of Dry Milk. So go get some powder, mix in some water, add some ice, and enjoy a nice cold glass of milk. Or if you are feeling adventurous, maybe try just eating the powder. I don't think I will be celebrating this holiday. I don't like milk to begin with, and powder milk is worse. Today is also "Astronaut's Day". On this day in 1959, the first 7 U.S. astronauts were selected. Perhaps to celebrate you can spend some time looking at the stars. If you are living in a place that will have clear enough skies to do this, perhaps you can look at some stars for me too! It is also "Name Yourself Day". If you have been disappointed in the name your parents gave you at birth, today is the day to change it. Go down to the courthouse and have your name changed. Personally, I like my name well enough. I mean, I don't know what other name I would prefer to have, so I think that I will keep my name what it is. But if there's anyone out there who's thought about changing their name, I am curious as to what they want to change it to.
Finally, it is "Winston Churchill Day". I think that this is a fabulous day to celebrate. Winston Churchill was a great man who deserves to be remembered, not just one day a year, but always. For my nieces and nephews who read this blog and others who might not know who Winston Churchill, he was the Prime Minister (the British version of the President) in Great Britain during World War II. In his first speech as Prime Minister he said, "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat." Another inspiring quote from Churchill is, "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Another quote that made me chuckle is, "A politician needs the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen." For more fun quotes from Churchill go to http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/w/winston_churchill.html. Needless to say Winston Churchill was a great man, probably one of the top 10 on my list of historical political leaders I would like to meet. I hope that you all have a wonderful day celebrating and remembering!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you're back to celebrating. There are so many wonderful things to remember and celebrate. Btw... does formula count as dry milk? I have lots of samples of that. And what about the dry milk crusted around Sophie's mouth after she's done eating? Is that part of the celebration as well?

Pb said...

From now on simply call me
"Eye of the Tiger".

Nat said...

Steph, you are awesome! I love that you celebrate random holidays. It makes me smile. And I LOVE the picture of the guy with big ears. Wahoo!

TerriLyn said...

I just bought some dry milk last week but not so I could drink it...we got a bread machine and the recipes call for dried milk so there you have it. Do you like to eat cereal with milk? Or do you use water?