
Sixty-six years ago today was a day that will live on in infamy. It was today, in the early morning hours that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor catapulting the United States into World War II. As I think about what happened today, 66 years ago, I remember again how grateful I am for those men and women who willingly sacrifice their lives in defence of freedom and liberty. Twenty-one ships in the U.S. Naval fleet were destroyed in the attack. It devastated the Navy. More than ships were lost though. The deaths reached to number 2,350 with 68 civilians. Another 1,178 were injured.
Miracles happened despite the terror and destruction. The United States banded together, and despite losses, ended the war in 3 1/2 years. I think that the real miracle is that now, 66 years later, there is no animosity between these two nations who were at war. We live peaceably with one another, and even work together.
One of my favorite Christmas songs is "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day". The third verse says, "And in despair I hung my head, there is no peace on earth I said. For hate in strong and mocks the song of peace on earth goodwill towards men." This reminds me of the world today. There is little peace and it seems that the conflict in the Middle East will never be resolved. But the song continues in verse four by saying, "Then peels the bells more loud and deep, God is not dead nor doth He sleep. The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, with peace on earth goodwill toward men."
How grateful I am that God "is not dead nor doth He sleep". I see an example of this with what has happened between Japan and the United States. Who would have thought on that December morning in 1941, that Japan and the United States would become allies and friends. I am grateful for this time of year when we get to remember those who have sacrificed themselves for the freedom of others. Especially the ultimate sacrifice of the Prince of Peace. I pray that a remembrance of His birth in this season will give us all true reason to celebrate. Someday, because of Him, there will be peace on earth, and goodwill towards all men. May each of us work harder in our own lives to spread that peace and goodwill as He would do.
2 comments:
steph i love you. you are so eloquent. you are awesome!
Ooh, you gave me chills and made my eyes wet. Thank you for your wonderful thoughts.
Post a Comment