Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Wisdom of the Young


My nephew Talmage, who will be 5 at the end of August, is very smart, wise, and wonderful. I am constantly amazed with the things he comes up with. I was going to thank him for something he said to me the other day, and I thought, "What better way than to do it on my blog so everyone knows how wonderful he is?" About a week ago, I was having a rough day. It wasn't anything extremely challenging, I was just feeling a little down. On my way home from work, I decided that I wanted to talk to Talmage. I called, but they were eating dinner. I tried to hide my disappointment, and asked my brother to have Talmage call me back. About 20-30 minutes later, Talmage called. He instantly brightened my day with his enthusiasm, his wit, and his humor. We got talking about getting married. He told me that Anya, his 2 1/2 year old sister, was going to marry a boy in her primary class. He told me that he was going to marry a girl whose name he didn't know. I asked him who I was going to marry. He said, "I don't know, who?" I told him that I didn't know. He then responded, "You could marry me!" He giggled, and we laughed about the age difference, and how since he was my nephew that probably wouldn't work anyway. Talmage was giggling and laughing, and then he got serious and said, "You need to marry someone sensible and loving because you're sensible and loving, so you need to marry someone sensible and loving and be good." I was blown away by what he said. I don't know why something a 5 year old said affected me so much, but I felt so much love at that moment, and since then I have looked at boys in a totally different light. I'm looking for someone who is not only loving, but sensible, because my nephew reminded me that that is someone that I deserve. So, Thank you, Talmage. Thank you for lifting my spirits and in a way, reminding me of my divine worth. I love you Talmage!

4 comments:

bec said...

that is so sweet! He is right, you really deserve a great guy.

Anonymous said...

I Love you!

Anonymous said...

out of the mouth of babes! Love you Stepha!

Nat said...

That is so darling! I can't believe how big he's getting! Good grief, I almost remember when he was born. He, he! It is so amazing the things children say. Wow!