Monday, January 14, 2008

Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Talmage

I think that my nephew Talmage (who is 4) is one of the smartest people I know. He is constantly teaching me new things. One of my favorite movies is Mary Poppins, and Talmage saw it for the first time this last weekend. He was talking to my mom and I on the phone on Saturday telling us about it. His favorite part was the penguin dance. He said that it was "hill-LAR-ious". I didn't know 4-year-olds could say such big words. I asked him what hillarious means, and told me, "It means 'hill-LAR-ious'!" I guess I should have known that that is what it meant. The other thing I have learned from Talmage is to not say "stupid" because it isn't a nice word to say. Yesterday is Sunday School we were comparing Laman and Lemuel with Nephi. I had made the comment that Nephi was open-minded when it came to leaving Jerusalem. He was willing to pray and gain his own conformation that that was the right thing to do. Then I tried comparing Laman and Lemuel to them. I said that they just thought Lehi was a visionary man and that his idea was...and I was going to say stupid. In mid-sentence I saw Talmage in my mind, and I couldn't say "that word". I sounded not very smart as I stated, "Laman and Lemuel thought their dad had a not very smart and not good idea." Yeah, so I didn't sound that great, but I got my point across and I didn't say any "not nice" words. So thank you Talmage, for helping me to be a smarter and better person.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you talmage