
Seven years ago today, our country was attacked by forces intent on causing terror and chaos. Seven years ago today, our country showed its true colors and united together against those who would seek to destroy us. After seven years, I wonder how much we remember of that day. I'm sure that most of you remember where you were when you heard the news about the World Trade Center falling, or the Pentagon being hit, or even the plane going down in Pennsylvania, but what else do you remember?
When I was in New York City this last summer, I had the opportunity to go to Ground Zero. I saw the hole that is left in place of where the towers once stood. I ate lunch at a Pizzeria that was right across the street. I witnessed the damage that is still scarring the sides of buildings in the area. I saw the monument that was erected for those who gave their lives, and those whose lives were affected. I witnessed people sobbing on the street and asking why and how something like this could ever happen. Seven years after the attack, and people are still weeping for those whose lives were lost - lives of strangers who were lost.
I was humbled by what I witnessed in New York City that day. The monument issued an invitation to all people. It said, "Dedicated to those who fell, and those who carry on. May we never forget." I hope that we never forget those feelings that we felt that day and in the months that followed. The country was united. People helped each other and served each other. Everyone was a little kinder and thought of themselves a little less. I wish that we could remember. I wish that as a people we would remember those feelings.

It is hard to remember charity in an election year. I for one feel frustrated and upset with where things are going, and I don't have very kind feelings towards liberals right now. But I remember 9-ll, I remember that it didn't matter to what party you were affiliated with, all that mattered was who was American. That is really all that maters. We can still have our opinions towards those running for office, but the unkind feelings that I feel, are lessened when I think that each candidate truly does love American and is trying to the best that he or she can. Does it really matter in the end who ends up as our president? Of course it does, but I am reminded today that no matter who is elected, freedoms and liberties will go on, because that is what the American people fight for, desire, and deserve. I love this country, and I'm grateful for those who are willing to give their lives for liberty.
No comments:
Post a Comment